The adoption of pets is gaining weight in our society compared to other ways of getting a pet. That is why we want to offer some guidelines that should be reviewed before making the decision to adopt best family pets.
Unless we are alone, the adoption of a pet has to be agreed upon by all family members. We must have a solid commitment to the care that the animal will need. Which implies a consensus and prior reflection.
Meet the animal
We have to adopt an animal that can adapt to us, to do this we have to analyze our habits, routines and spaces and choose the pet that can best adapt to them. Therefore, it is a good idea to meet the animal beforehand. Visit more than one shelter if necessary. An interesting option may be to host a candidate to get a better idea of how living together may turn out. Many times we think of a puppy, but an adult animal has a more defined personality, attitude, and (on many occasions) we can get an idea of whether it has any chronic health problems (allergies, frequent gastrointestinal diseases, etc.). We will encounter situations that we cannot assume or that we did not expect. Also in this way we will be able to have a clearer idea of both the day-to-day expenses that a pet generates and the unexpected ones, since in addition to basic care, unforeseen events may arise.
We must be well informed about the obligations that we are going to have and the resources that the animal is going to need: what the basic care is, if it is a breed or an animal that will require more veterinary care, if it needs a lot of physical activity or attention. by the owner. This way we will not encounter situations that we cannot assume or that we did not expect.
By following these guidelines we will have a much better chance of the adoption working.
The good news is that according to the International Society for Animal Rights, 90.4% of the animals that were adopted last year found their forever home. Of the remaining 9.6% in which the adoption failed, 34.2% was due to a poor adaptation of the animal, so by applying the guidelines we propose before adapting we will have a greater probability that our decision will come to fruition.